From a Medieval Moorish Quarter to the birthplace of fado, Lisbon's Mouraria district is full to bursting with history and culture. Discover it on this free walking tour!
Mouraria Free Walking Tour Itinerary
Begin your free walking tour of one of Lisbon's most historic neighbourhoods meeting your guide in front of the statue in Praça Dom Pedro IV. From here, you'll stroll through the Portuguese capital's colourful hilly streets, ready to discover Mouraria.
This neighbourhood - and its name - has its origins as a Moorish ghetto. A Muslim population lived in the area from the 8th century and remained there, despite the Reconquista, until the mid-12th century, after which it became populated by fishermen. It is still characterised by its multicultural environment thanks to groups of immigrants who have settled here from all over the world, and you'll notice the international influence as you walk.
Your route will take you to Praça Martim Moniz, the starting point for the emblematic number 28 tram, before immersing you in the Portuguese capital's legendary history as you explore the Cerca Fernandina, part of the Medieval fortified city walls.
Discover Lisbon's cultural heritage next, visiting the Monument to Fado and learning all about the unique Portuguese music genre, before hearing all about the great Portuguese writers, admiring the city's famous street art, and seeing the country's first sound film cinema.
Having explored Mouraria and visited the Jardim da Cerca Graça and Bairro da Graça as well, your free walking tour will come to an end near the Jardim Botto Machado and the National Pantheon.
Please note: on Tuesdays and Saturdays, the 10:30 am tour will finish at the Feira da Ladra fleamarket.
- It is not possible to reserve this free tour of Mouraria if you're a group of more than 6 people. If this is the case, you should reserve a private tour instead.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. There is a maximum of 3 children per adult.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 1 hour before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation in the control panel, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Praça Dom Pedro IV (Rossio Square).