Information about Lisbon
Lisbon is the capital and the most influential city of Portugal. It lies on the Atlantic Ocean and River Tagus. Its privileged location made it into one of the most important cities thanks to the control of great part of the Atlantic.
In this article, we’ll try to answer certain basic questions that arise when planning a trip to Lisbon:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the official language spoken in Lisbon and Portugal? Can you get by in English? Do they speak English in restaurants?
- When is the best time to visit Lisbon? Is it always warm in the Portugal’s capital? Does it rain a lot during winter?
- Do the Portuguese celebrate Christmas? When are the country’s most important bank holidays? When is the national holiday in Portugal?
- Do I need a visa to enter Portugal? How long can I stay as a tourist?
- Should I get a travel insurance for Portugal? What is the healthcare system like in Portugal?
- What currency is used in Portugal? Should I exchange money before getting to Lisbon? Is it better to pay in cash or with card?
Lisbon Facts & Figures
Lisbon has a population of 600,000, and its metropolitan area has around 2.6 million people.
Tram in Lisbon
You can enter Portugal with a valid passport (at least for the proposed duration of your stay) and can stay as a tourist for up to 3 months. For more information, check out our article on Travel Advice.
Current Local Time
The time zone in Lisbon is Western European Time and Western European Summer Time. It is 5 hours ahead of New York, 8 hours ahead of San Francisco and the same time as London.
Electricity and Plugs
The power sockets in Portugal are type F and the standard voltage is 230 V. If you are traveling form the UK and want to use your appliances, you will need to buy an adaptor. The same applies for the United States.
Most shops in Lisbon open from Monday to Friday, from 9.30am to 1pm and 3pm to 7pm. From 7pm on you can find shopping centers and souvenir shops open. On Saturdays, most of the shops only open in the morning.
Important telephone numbers
- Emergency number: 112
- Portugal country code: 351
- Lisbon are code: 21
- Information: 118