This tour of historical Belem neighbourhood will relive the rise and fall of the Portuguese empire, admiring two of Lisbon's most symbolic monuments: the Belem Tower and the Jerónimos Monastery.
The starting point for our tour of Belem will be Commerce Square. From this central point we can contemplate the statue of José I, and learn about the history of the King nicknamed "The Reformer". Following the footsteps of the Portuguese monarchs, we make our way by public transport to the historical Belem neighbourhood, forty minutes from the centre of Lisbon. Here the tour stops to take in the impressive sculpture in honour of Afonso de Albuquerque, the first Portuguese viceroy of the Indias.
The tour walks through Belem until it arrives at the River Tajo statue, where we will find the monument to the discoveries. This monument in the shape of a Caravel (A type of Portuguese 15th Century sailing ship) represents the departure point for the Portuguese boats which left to explore the new world. The tour then stops to admire the figures of missionaries and sailors sculpted into the monument, before continuing on to one of the symbols of Lisbon itself: The 25th April Bridge - an important day in Portuguese and Lisbon history.
The next stop will be the famous Belem Tower. This building on the Tajo estuary stands in testament to Lisbon's history, having been a lighthouse, prison, and tax collection centre. We will wander through the tower gardens and pass next to the "Forte do Bom Sucesso" ("Great Triumph Fortress") before arriving at the Jerónimos Monastery, which houses the tomb of legendary explorer Vasco de Gama.
To top off our visit to the Belem neighbourhood, we will relive the glory of the old Portuguese empire, immortalised in the compass rose. This map mosaic made of beige, red and black limestone details the different routes taken by the Portuguese explorers on their journeys of discovery and symbolises the development of a country which grew to control a territory greater than 60 times its current size.
- Students should bring their identification which confirms them as such.
- This tour does not take in the interiors of the attractions, rather it will visit the outside.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 20 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Students||Children under 13|
Children under 13US$ 4.70
3 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in English.
English and Spanish speaking expert guide.
Tickets for public transport (€3.10 per person).
Tickets to attractions
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 36 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).